wordsnpixchic Said,
November 27th, 2010 @3:09 am

Biology (science). My husband teaches history (I teach reading) and often finds social studies positions are not in demand. Because our nation is focusing more on science, however, these positions are more in demand. And harder to fill. The bottom line is that you will ALWAYS find a teaching job. You need to make sure you’re teaching a subject you enjoy. If you don’t have the passion for your subject, you can’t expect to pass it along to your students.

rkirby1331 Said,
November 27th, 2010 @3:46 am

Biology – there is an emphasis on Science and Math in schools.
Remember – what qualifies you to teach in most states is the passing of the subject content exam, not what your major was in college.
I got my Bachelor’s Degree in Social Studies, but I took and passed both the Social Studies and the English teacher’s exams and this year I am teaching Reading (English). I am so glad I have the “dual” certification anyway because it opens more opportunities.
Be sure to talk to your counselor.

a.waxler Said,
November 27th, 2010 @4:22 am

Biology…by far!

There can be several hundred people applying for one social studies position. While it may not be “easy” to get a biology job, it is much easier than history.

sfroggy5 Said,
November 27th, 2010 @5:05 am

math and science are alway in big demand. History not so much.

eastacademic Said,
November 27th, 2010 @5:38 am

Mathematics and Science is needed in every state.

eschewdefeat Said,
November 27th, 2010 @5:57 am

The last posting we had for a history teacher had something like 400 applicants in three days. The average in American public schools is something like 200 applications per job. Unless you live in a really undesirable location. You will not ALWAYS find a teaching job. I have friends who have been looking for years for language arts and history positions. They substitute and teach summer classes. But my district has long ago closed its sub roster to new teachers, and we have more applicants than we can turn away for summer school now.

physicsisphun84 Said,
November 27th, 2010 @6:50 am

I would say that biology is in more demand. History teachers are a dime a dozen it seems. I, myself, teach physics and got a job last year right out of college. My college grades weren’t the best (3.01 QPA), but I was still offered the job the day after my interview. Good luck in whatever you choose!

lynx Said,
November 27th, 2010 @7:16 am

Biology is more in demand than History. But if you can teach science, chemistry and physics teachers are the most in demand.