Best Answer

Related Post

Spread the word

Digg this post

Bookmark to delicious

Stumble the post

Add to your technorati favourite

Subscribes to this post

4 Comments Already

*22t* Said,
April 22nd, 2011 @3:11 am  

You get our teacher’s certificate, then you go for more education, like a master’s and your field of study is ESL. Sometimes the state pays for it. Don’t go to any website but your own state’s. Okay, are we clear. Become a teacher, get the certificate. Then, get them to pay for grad school to study ESL, also, learn Spanish. Farsi is too hard. Russian, well, they are too gorgeous, teach with beauty magazines. Some schools have twenty languages. You will get your pick of jobs. Lucky you.

LJ Said,
April 22nd, 2011 @3:22 am  

I am licensed to teach ESL. I already had a teaching certificate and a masters degree, so I only needed to take some graduate courses and an additional test.

But there were people in the graduate program I was in that did not yet have a teaching certificate. They were able to get an ESL license, but they needed much more to do so. They had to complete a masters in TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.) They had to student teach. They had to take the same test I took as well as another qualifying test.

But this is in the State of New York. The regulations differ from state to state. You should contact your state department of education to find out what your state requires.

Good luck!

ICAL Said,
April 22nd, 2011 @3:47 am  

First are the qualifications. Aside from being excellent at speaking English, you’ll need a degree (although there are still possibilities if you do not have this) and a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certificate to get a visa and work.

The degree can be in almost any subject as it is usually required for the visa only so you will find teachers with a degree in Engineering or Sociology. Having said this, to help get the job it’s obviously better to be English or language related, for example a degree in English literature.

The TEFL certificate can be taken either in-house or online at your own pace which is a much cheaper option (see

The link below gives plenty of basic information on getting into the field of TESL and TEFL.

Travelman Said,
April 22nd, 2011 @4:11 am  

Hi there,

No need to worry, you don’t have to be a qualified teacher to teach English overseas.

However, what you will need is a TESOL/TEFL certificate. This certificate will be your ticket to teach around the world. You will be able to achieve this certificate by taking a short course – many companies offer TEFL/TESOL courses. I suggest taking a look at this site, it gives a really good breakdown of what courses are available to you, how long it will take to complete and what they include. Hopefully, this rids of any confusion you might have.

Also, you mentioned you want the chance to teach anywhere in the world – do you have a degree? Because in some countries it’s a mandatory requirement that to obtain a working visa you need to have a degree, so having one will increase the amount of countries that you can work in. You can, however, go and look for jobs without one, but they’re quite hard to come by and you will be competing with people that do have degrees.

Hope this information helps.

Good Luck!

Leave Your Comments Below

Please Note: All comments will be hand modified by our authors so any unsuitable comments will be removed and you comments will be appreared after approved