Kevin B. Said,
February 25th, 2011 @7:11 am

I don’t know. We have an entire generation of morons who think the world is 6000 years old due to home schooling.

TAT Said,
February 25th, 2011 @7:12 am

What would I do? Leave them alone. The govt has no constitutional authority to intervene. Do some research. You will find that home school children tend to have better test scores bc they are taught what is important in a manner that works for them. I know many liberals who home school. I don’t think this is about party politics

Adrian Said,
February 25th, 2011 @7:40 am

I’m glad I wasn’t home schooled, I wouldn’t home school my own children. Politically, I’m a moderate, But I firmly believe a person who wants to home school their children should have the right to do so. Generally somebody who cares to do something like this, tends to teach their kids much more than a teacher could. So for somebody who has the nerves for it, and personal beliefs to teach their kids, I would never do anything to abridge their right to do so.

Fear The Boom And Bust Said,
February 25th, 2011 @8:30 am

if america is free like they claim, it shouldnt be a problem, public schools = chemotherapy for braincells that work just fine

GoGo Girls Said,
February 25th, 2011 @8:49 am

It’s none of their business how the kids get educated. As long as they can pass the required academic test it shouldn’t matter. If the parent is a home owner they are still sucking them dry to school taxes, so they need to butt the hell out. Until we as parents have more control over what is taught or indoctrinated I support home schooling and school vouchers 1000%.

Sergio S Said,
February 25th, 2011 @9:40 am

the only true downside to homeschooling is the lack of life experiences. pain, drama, competition, teams, all of this can really help build a childs character. but otherwise i see no real problem or extremity about it

Voice of Liberty Said,
February 25th, 2011 @9:53 am

I was not homeschooled, nor would I homeschool my childeren simply because of the value of human interaction and the socialization process. With a BA in Sociology, I understand fully that children who lack normal interactions (although some may not be the best) with society suffer socially later on in life.

That being said, PARENTS know the needs of their own children and can serve those needs better than the government ever can.

The statistics speak for themselves:

A study conducted by National Home Education Research Institute (NHERI), found that among the homeschooled students who took the tests, the average homeschooled student outperformed his public school peers by 30 to 37 percentile points across all subjects.

Further, a study at Wheaton College in Illinois showed that the freshmen that were homeschooled for high school scored 58 points higher on SAT scores than those students who attended public or private schools.

BASSCHAMP101 Said,
February 25th, 2011 @10:31 am

I left public school because of the crap they spewed. Their humanistic base for everything is BAD. And the people weren’t the nicest as well so I left. I now attend a private Christian school which is considered home schooling. I also have a friend who is home schooled and neither of us, or out families are “right wing extremists”…

So what would I do? Nothing. You get your humanistic public schools and we get out Christian schools and such. Or rather, you get your left wing extremist school…

But PLEASE, don’t say “right wing extremists” because your side is more extreme then ours….

God bless you sir.

Muledancer Said,
February 25th, 2011 @11:02 am

Home schooling is currently legal and must remain legal. It is the only way that we can keep our children from the state indoctrination depots…er, ah, public schools.. mis-information.

The politicians have come to believe that they are our

masters rather than our servants.
They are out of control.
It is time to vote ALL of them out of office.

We need to have a “REMOVE INCUMBENT” option on the ballot.

open4one Said,
February 25th, 2011 @11:11 am

Dang. I was about to answer this question, read TAT’s answer, and at first thought “Oh, I already did.”

There is NOTHING in the Constitution giving the federal government any shred of authority over education.

In my travels, I’ve seen a lot of different school systems. Thing single most determinative factor in education is parental involvement. No amount of money, no teacher, no books, nothing will replace it, and I’ve seen examples where it overcame the illiteracy of the parents themselves.

If a child isn’t getting an education, the most likely reason is because the parents haven’t made it important.

Now, who do you think it is more likely to be important to, someone who sends their kids to whatever school the government assigns to learn whatever the government deems fit, or those that home-school?