l_c_1030 Said,
April 4th, 2011 @3:00 pm

Being a special ed teacher takes more than you think. It takes extreme amounts of patience, kindness, understanding. It is very similar to being a nurse, it takes a special kind of person, and not everyone is that. If you have no previous experience in a special ed class, see if you can sit in one in your city. You will see that the teacher’s are extremely special. Maybe you should try to be a substitute or something like that if you cannot do the special ed thing.
Good Luck

mopargrapeape Said,
April 4th, 2011 @3:06 pm

Go for teaching special ed! There are not enough teachers for that. And I would think that it would be a very rewarding career.

virgo920_kisses Said,
April 4th, 2011 @3:08 pm

I definitely say you should teach special ed… why not? My Mother teaches in the field of Early Childhood and Special Education at the University of the District of Columbia. I know a few people who have taught special ed students and they love it because they say it keeps you going and it gives you a chance to be creative in your teaching style because each child in special ed has a unique way in learning. It is very challenging and it keeps you thinking the whole time you are working. I think its a great experience!

hersheys2010 Said,
April 4th, 2011 @3:13 pm

I think that you should do what’s best for now. It would be good for you to apply for this job. It might even look good on a future resume!!

enza003 Said,
April 4th, 2011 @3:31 pm

Sure, go for it! You’ll learn a lot of tricks that you can use when you’re able to find a job as a regular education teacher. Who knows, maybe you’ll decide to stay in special ed!

GetMeTheBigKnife Said,
April 4th, 2011 @4:23 pm

While people think a special ed teacher is “special” I have to say the kids are. I never thought I would be here today – my friend dragged me into this years ago…I haven’t looked back since.
Also consiser the support network available in a special ed setting.