brandiandbobby Said,
May 4th, 2011 @3:15 am

INSTRUCTIONS:

Please respond to each question with either :
strongly agree, agree, not sure, disagree or strongly disagree.

QUESTIONS

1. Children should only be taught something when they express an interest or readiness in learning it. Stongly Disagree

2. Too much pressure is placed on primary school children to learn
Disagree

3. Primary school children should be made to revise for regular tests which monitor their progress in learning Agree

4. Children should begin learning how to read and write in a formal setting at the age of five Strongly Agree

5. Children in primary schools should spend less time in formal learning and more time in play based activities Not sure

6. I am happy with the current curriculum and feel it is relevant and enjoyable for children agree

7. From my experience, children learn more from adult-initiated/teacher led activities compared to independent activities chosen by the child agree

8. I think five is too young an age to put children into formal education strongly disagree

9. In my experience, too much formality when teaching children can put them off wanting to learn agree

10. Parents should be taught how to help their children complete formal homework agree

11. In primary education, the school day should be structured around play disagree

12. In my experience, allowing children to choose the way they spend their time in the setting enhances their learning dont know

13. Formal education is necessary to prepare children for adulthood
stongly agree

14. I feel primary school education is less about what the child wants to learn and more about what society and the government dictates they should learn dont know

Arcane Said,

11.agree
12.agree
13.agree
14.not sure

Tchrwonub Said,
May 4th, 2011 @4:17 am

Strongly Agree 1. Children should only be taught something when they express an interest or readiness in learning it
Disagree 2. Too much pressure is placed on primary school children to learn
Strongly Disagree 3. Primary school children should be made to revise for regular tests which monitor their progress in learning
Agree 4. Children should begin learning how to read and write in a formal setting at the age of five
Strongly Agree 5. Children in primary schools should spend less time in formal learning and more time in play based activities
Disagree 6. I am happy with the current curriculum and feel it is relevant and enjoyable for children
Disagree 7. From my experience, children learn more from adult-initiated/teacher led activities compared to independent activities chosen by the child
Disagree 8. I think five is too young an age to put children into formal education
Strongly Agree 9. In my experience, too much formality when teaching children can put them off wanting to learn
Disagree 10. Parents should be taught how to help their children complete formal homework

Disagree 11. In primary education, the school day should be structured around play
Strongly Agree 12. In my experience, allowing children to choose the way they spend their time in the setting enhances their learning
Agee 13. Formal education is necessary to prepare children for adulthood
Strongly Agree 14. I feel primary school education is less about what the child wants to learn and more about what society and the government dictates they should learn

THE SINGER Said,
May 4th, 2011 @4:57 am

1. Strongly disagree.
2. Strongly disagree.
3. Question is confusing…”children should be made to revise?” Not sure
4. Agree.
5. Disagree. Activities and learning can be done cooperatively.
6. Disagree. Education and many school systems are currently undergoing major transitions and growth because schools are not preparing children for the real work of work.
7.Agree
8. Disagree. I started school formerly at 5. (1956-57). I knew and could spell and write my name, names of my parents, address, phone number, was tested and read on a 3rd grade level! When parents work with their children and prepare them for a formal school environment, the children are hungry for learning. I learned to write cursively at 6 and was told “not to” by teachers because I was “moving faster than they wanted me to go”.
9. Strongly disagree. Children don’t know ‘formality’. That’s an adult word. All you have to do is present the opportunity to children to learn – what do they know of ‘formality. In my school we have to have our standards posted on the board along with our objectives. I introduced these to my students and told them why we were doing this and they were excited about it. Their parents were excited, because now they knew what the state of TN required and they knew from their children’s notebooks, that they were writing down each week what our objectives and goals were and then if we accomplished them or not.
10. Agree. However, depending upon your school, the educational experience of the parents, some might not be able to be ‘taught’ how to help. Ex. When my daughter was in school, I was not able to help her in Algebra. She knew more about it than I did – however, we had Homework Hotline, Tutors, etc. that were available to assist students. Parents should be able to participate when they can – but schools should provide as much outside assistance to ensure the students get the help they need.
11. Strongly disagree. No school day can be structured around play – not and be able to compete with other schools of the world. We need play – but we need active, engaged learning.
12. Disagree. Adults should provide a variety of sources for children to enjoy within a setting and yes, they should ‘go for it’ however, adults need to supervise ‘how to’ and initiate cooperative play
13.Agree. Formal education is necessary for more than just preparing students for adulthood. It is the sturcture by which we matriculate from school to school, degree to degree. The older we get , the more educational needs are met for the working student and it becomes non-traditional (students obtaining degrees online).
14. Agree. A child does not know and is unable to determine what he needs to know in the world, or how to compete. It is about how the child will learn and be prepared to compete in the world. How the child will obtain a way of life, earn a living, participate in the economical structure of the place in which he lives, and be a willing consumer and all around good citizen.

susystars Said,
May 4th, 2011 @5:17 am

I think the last question answers all the rest. In my opinion we make them grow to fast. That is why when they reach to age of 14 they don’t want to listen ant more. We have turned them into adults with opinions of their own and become hard to control. Children need time to play and interact to find a path they wish to go down. Then the desire to learn will come natural. I feel we push them too young and then we regret it. Then when they get older and should be accounted for responsibility they want to act like a child because they missed it growing up.

1 not to an extreme
2 yes
3 no
4 no informal at their own pace
5 yes
6 no they are pushed too hard to young
7 no they choose what interests them at the time If pushed rebel
8 yes hasn’t had enough time to get to know himself much less what he wants in years to come
9 yes
10 They should have been taught already in their years in school but like I said were pushed too young themselves now with no one to push them they can take the time to do what they missed growing up Play
11 make every thing fun and what they are ready to learn they will
12 yes with rules and boundaries
13 yes but I feel school should start at the age 10 graduate at the age 22 and start college at the age 25 by then they have a better chance of what their looking for in life. No one should get married before the age
14 Yes I do

15 Most teachers are as young as their students We need time to play when we are young so when we reach the age of thirty we pretty well know what we want in life.

barbara c Said,
May 4th, 2011 @5:45 am

QUESTIONS

1. Children should only be taught something when they express an interest or readiness in learning it NOT SURE – there are some core skills that are non-negotiable. Also, you don’t know what you don’t know.
2. Too much pressure is placed on primary school children to learn AGREE
3. Primary school children should be made to revise for regular tests which monitor their progress in learning STRONGLY DISAGREE
4. Children should begin learning how to read and write in a formal setting at the age of five NOT SURE (depends on the child)
5. Children in primary schools should spend less time in formal learning and more time in play based activities AGREE
6. I am happy with the current curriculum and feel it is relevant and enjoyable for children DISAGREE
7. From my experience, children learn more from adult-initiated/teacher led activities compared to independent activities chosen by the child DISAGREE
8. I think five is too young an age to put children into formal education DISAGREE
9. In my experience, too much formality when teaching children can put them off wanting to learn STRONGLY AGREE
STRONGLY DISAGREE (DON’T AGREE WITH HOMEWORK!)
11. In primary education, the school day should be structured around play AGREE
12. In my experience, allowing children to choose the way they spend their time in the setting enhances their learning AGREE
13. Formal education is necessary to prepare children for adulthood AGREE
14. I feel primary school education is less about what the child wants to learn and more about what society and the government dictates they should learn AGREE (BUT DON”T LIKE IT!)

teacher 55 Said,
May 4th, 2011 @6:04 am

1. strongly disagree some students wouldn’t choose to learn what they need to.
2. strongly disagree the teacher is pressured but not the student