SJC Said,
January 8th, 2011 @12:40 pm

I took online schooling to be a Vet Assistant. (Penn Foster) I personally think it’s a good option. :D

Basset Puppies makes a good point about needing to be shown things in person.

Basset Puppies = land piranhas Said,
January 8th, 2011 @1:18 pm

I would put this in the same category as online (or correspondence) grooming schools.

I’m sorry, I think the job is too “hands on” to be properly taught remotely. There are certain things that need to be shown in person.

unpredictable-lady Said,
January 8th, 2011 @1:52 pm

I am at Penn Foster in there veterinary technician program, and to be honest the assistant is just a waste of time and money it is six month course in most cases and not taken seriously. That was my official title when I was working, I worked my way up from kennel staff.
My local college offers a crappy program, (I have taken a few courses there) I dropped out and went to an AVMA Probationary Accreditation.

I should add in there is online class time, you also do have to work 9 weeks at a clinic after the second and fourth semester.

Carissa Said,
January 8th, 2011 @2:18 pm

The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) does accredit some distance learning programs for veterinary techs. Check out this website. It will give you a list of them and is a good place to start doing some research.

JenVT Said,
January 8th, 2011 @2:39 pm

I am not in the veterinary field, however, I am a professional in Adult Education and I can say that it might be a good starting point, but good vet techs have plenty of lab experience before they leave college which you would not be able to get from an online program. You may be able to take your intro level courses online and transfer them, assuming that the online school is accredited but you would have to check with the school that you ultimately end up attending to find out what the restrictions are for transfer credits.

Tyler's momma +1 in the oven Said,
January 8th, 2011 @3:00 pm

I personally am squeamish about online colleges anyway, for any degree. I do feel that if you want to be respected and have your education respected then going to classes is the way to go. I went to an actual college for Vet tech. I say going on line will be easier, but the lazy persons option (sorry, no offense). If you want to actually be registered/licensed/whatever, I’m pretty sure AVMA doesn’t have any online colleges. In actual vet tech school we drew blood on dogs, cats, rats, mice, guinea pigs, birds, etc. We did actual surgeries (vet supervised, vet did surgery). We did actual radiographs and dentals. A “real” tech college is VERY hands on. EVERY day you are working with real animals and real situations.

I went to school, it was anywhere from 17-20 hrs every semester, and I worked 30 ish hours every week (off campus). I also owned 2 dogs and 2 cats. I lived with my fiance at the time. He worked full time and we were still able to pay bills and take proper care of our pets. My personal opinion, make the sacrifice, get a room mate, and go to a “real” college.

Edit: check out http://www.avma.org or http://www.navta.org for more information about accredited colleges.

James B Said,
January 8th, 2011 @3:42 pm

I am a vet tech and I can’t see how you could get the training you need on-line. How can you learn how to use a sterilizer, assist in surgery, put an I.V. in , really it sounds like a scam to me I would be very careful before investing any money on an online program. It’s a hand on teaching procedure. Good luck, the work is rewarding but it has alot of sad moments too. Hope you can find a reputable class you can take,

Shadow Said,
January 8th, 2011 @4:07 pm

One of my coworkers is doing an online vet tech program and was talking to me about it as an option because she knows I want to go to the vet tech school a little ways from here. I talked about the hands-on experience and she said you need vets to sponsor you, so that you get that experience from working with them. I personally think I would learn better in a classroom/lab setting, but it seems like a good option for those who can’t get away from their jobs and households.

reispinscher Said,
January 8th, 2011 @4:58 pm

there are two school that i know of that offer Vet tech course online they also require an internship as part of your education these are the Only two schools who will lead to certification one is in texas, with the veterinary school of that state, I don’t remember the other. Most veterinarians want to train their own techs, and most states only require two years of work to sit for the exam. schooling is not required to become a veterinary technician. to my knowledge the only state that does not require an exam is Montana transferring certification can be done also between states, this also varies from state to state. to maintain certification also requires continuing education credits. you can write to Hills pet foods for their free course in animal nutrition, if you are working for a veterinarian, and become certified as an Animal Nutritionist at two different levels. this was part of my school training in college. I also took the course again while serving in the army as an Animal Care Specialist (Vet Tech, animal welfare worker, humane officer, and public health worker {rabies Cases} all rolled into one Job.)

Single Worker 1230 Said,
January 8th, 2011 @5:47 pm

First you need to make sure that any online program that you go through is AVMA accredited. This way you will be able to sit for the national exam and any state exam that maybe required to practice. The AVMA accredited programs require that you either be working at or volunteering a veterinary practice so that you can be mentored on the hands on technical portions. Most will require that someone in the practice sign off on your technical abilities and/or submit video of you actually doing the techniques. Like campus programs there are good and bad ones. You want one that has been in business for several years if at all possible. These programs should actually be teaching the student about veterinary technology, not just teaching them how to pass the exams. Personally (in my opinion) the best ones are through Purdue, San Juan, Cedar Valley, and St. Petersburg, We have hired and mentored techs that have gone through many programs and have found that the techs that have gone through these programs to be the most ready to go out into the work force. The hands on portion of the program is the most important. So you need to make sure that any practice that you mentor through is progressive in their utilization of technicians and in thier medicine.