DrB Said,
April 6th, 2011 @2:29 am

Seems unlikely. Maybe if you applied to grad school where you did your undergrad work, but even then I’m not so sure..

Paladin Said,
April 6th, 2011 @2:36 am

If you have helped administer the GRE, you are not allowed to take it. I don’t know if they give some sort of alternative, though

felix_dovetail Said,
April 6th, 2011 @2:48 am

You don’t. If you don’t want to take the GRE, then go to law, medical, or other professional program. Then you can take the MCAT or LSAT, etc instead.

Look, the way all schools decide how people get into graduate programs is through their GRE score and their grades in undergrad. Everything else: recommendations, essays, extra curriculars are secondary, if that.

I’m guessing you don’t want to take the test because you think you’re not good at taking tests. My answer to that is that I’m sorry you feel that way and I suggest looking into either untimed tests or a tutoring program. Standardized tests are often questioned in their accuracy of proving students, but overall, they are the best measurement schools have found. If you’re unwilling to be measured, the school is unwilling to accept you.

Did you take the SAT to get into undergrad or the ACT? I’m sure you had to take one or the other, if not both. If you took the SAT, then you have the basic preparation for the GRE. It’s just a harder version of the SAT.

I wish I could give you different advice, but that is the way the academic world works. I wish you luck on the GRE and suggest you take it as soon as possible; according to Kaplan, the test will be revamped some time within the next year and the changes will make it more difficult.

Mel Said,
April 6th, 2011 @3:35 am

It’s different for every institution, so you have to look at their requirements. As a department head told me recently, “If you don’t take the GRE people will wonder why and think you are hiding something, so just take it. The scores don’t really matter so much as the fact that you have taken it.”

Will B Said,
April 6th, 2011 @4:32 am

As a former Assoc Dean of Grad Studies, the answer is probably. Most MA/MS programs do not require the GRE, and ALL doctoral programs that you want to consider require the GRE. The same applies for the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) which is a better and less expensive, though not as fashionable, graduate admissions test.

Jay Cutts Said,
April 6th, 2011 @5:01 am

Hi, Nicole.

Please don’t let the GRE prevent you from applying to programs. It is very learnable. I’ve been helping people with it for over 16 years and I’ve had many students who dreaded it at first and eventually were very successful.

It’s true that it can be quite intimidating on your own. Please take a look at my website on the GRE for a better idea of how you can be successful with it.