Best Answer

Related Post

Spread the word

Digg this post

Bookmark to delicious

Stumble the post

Add to your technorati favourite

Subscribes to this post

2 Comments Already

mom of 4 Said,
June 5th, 2011 @3:23 pm  

you basically just need to get your masters in school counseling. tons of colleges offer this, even online ones.
good luck!

Rhonda Said,
June 5th, 2011 @3:29 pm  

Hi! You will need to take the GRE (graduate record exam) and apply to graduate school at the university of your choice. Follow the instructions to the letter. You will need to provide three letters of recommendation, preferably from faculty members who know you well. Your letter of intent is very important also. The degree you will be working on is a masters in “Counseling” within the College of Education. There are courses that are required, and electives. The college I attended had three tracks: Elementary, Secondary, and Community and Agency. Usually it was a matter of taking a few electives that determined what track one was in. Also, make sure the program is CACREP approved/certified. This is very important.

Near graduation, you will take the National Counselor Exam and this will give you NCC (National Certified Counselor) status – very important! Then you apply to your state board and apply for a state license to practice.

P.S. I suggest you talk to the high school guidance counselors where you work to see what programs they know of, and can recommend. That will save you some time, and they are a great source for your letters of recommendation, and other assistance along the way.

Best wishes.

Leave Your Comments Below

Please Note: All comments will be hand modified by our authors so any unsuitable comments will be removed and you comments will be appreared after approved