Alice Said,
February 23rd, 2011 @2:52 pm

Depends on how you fish. Do you get aerobic exercise for 20-30 minutes at a time?

I didn’t think so.

Maybe if you jog to the lake and back.

K Said,
February 23rd, 2011 @3:43 pm

Is there any stipulation in your state’s homeschooling laws that demand specific, sanctioned sports as part of the requirements? They don’t REQUIRE phys ed for our state at all, so I’ve counted gymnastics, soccer and bowling for my kids. This year they want to try swimming, baseball and karate. I personally would gravitate more towards kayaking and rock-climbing…maybe some mountain biking if I got the stupid thing fixed.

If your state doesn’t require it, don’t sweat it, it’s all just gravy. I have one kid who plays Pokemon card games competitively. It doesn’t count as a sport, but he loves doing it, has more time to engage in it since he’s homeschooled, and he’s won $1,000 scholarship doing so. Not bad for an eight year old.

Tori Said,
February 23rd, 2011 @4:15 pm

I know someone that took a fishing course in college. Why not? What about martial arts, swimming, hiking, biking, or something else unconventional? If you have to explain your curriculum to your school district it may not fly. No pun intended.

hsfromthestart Said,
February 23rd, 2011 @4:27 pm

I’ve known public schools to have archery as a 6 week unit in PE. In fact, my university offered archery as a 10 week course for PE. Fishing seems about as active as archery to me–more so if you row a boat or hike out to your fishing spot.

And I’ve seen swimming, jogging, cheerleading, bowling, golf, first aid and/or sports medicine offered in public schools for PE. If the public schools can do it, then why shouldn’t homeschoolers be able to do it?

I can’t see any reason why table tennis, gardening, pool, fencing, martial arts, or other activities couldn’t be treated as PE. As long as your state law doesn’t define what counts as PE for homeschoolers in some way, you should be able to choose whatever activity you and your parents agree on.

Mackenzie Said,
February 23rd, 2011 @4:57 pm

Does your state require homeschoolers to get PE?

There is no reason you can’t fish… but even if you fish, whether you consider it homeschooling or not, you should just make sure you are being active every day for health purposes.

Ashton Stephens Said,
February 23rd, 2011 @5:03 pm

You are right that the information on some sports might be sparse, but what really counts is actually the results. And as it seems people have very good results when they try ports Products Blog. And this is what really counts. For that reason i would recommend that you give it a shot.