Daniel K Said,
May 3rd, 2011 @10:57 am

People used to go to school to earn a degree. These days a lot of people just buy the things. Why waste two years?

babyCub Said,
May 3rd, 2011 @11:42 am

no! there is no such thing as a 2 year PhD, at least not in the US (some international universities give out Doctorates in 2 years, but not PhD), so if you are looking for a shortcut for a quick degree, there are options. But if you’re looking for a genuine Ph.D degree then its gonna be at least 3 (normally 4 years or more). Why? because Ph.D’s invent something completely new to this world, and i dont know if you can do that in 2 years.

pag2809 Said,
May 3rd, 2011 @12:08 pm

It’ll probably take you two years to complete the coursework and pass your comps, if not more. Then you have to do your dissertation. How long that takes depends on your field. In the humanities, its a ton of research and a 300 page (minimum) paper. In the sciences its a shorter paper, but you still have to do the research so that you can report the results. There just aren’t any shortcuts.

Professor X Said,
May 3rd, 2011 @1:01 pm

In most PhD programs, there are at least two years of coursework, followed by language exams (usually French, German, and whatever other languages are necessary for your field of study), then comprehensive exams, then writing a dissertation, then defending a dissertation.

I have never known anyone to complete the process in under 3 and a half years, and I know hundreds of PhDs.

However, residency requirements can vary. You might be done with your coursework by summer of 2008, and if you pass your language exams by then (you can usually take them anytime), then you might not be required to remain in residency. You could, for example, move elsewhere and then come back to campus for your qualifying exams when you are ready, and then come back yet again to defend your dissertation.

I took a fellowship out of state right after my comps, and then got a job as a visiting assistant professor right after that, so it took me a couple of years to finish my dissertation since I was teaching full time. So I just stayed in touch with my advisor and my committee members for a couple of years, and eventually returned to campus to defend.

young_ee69 Said,
May 3rd, 2011 @1:51 pm

If you have absolutely no life and load up on the classes it could be done…

bookgirl_abc Said,